Some Thoughts About Protein
Good sources of protein have long been seen as coming from only animal meat. Of course, we have the tried and true animal protein sources. However, the latest nutritional findings point to plant sources of protein that may also help you build and maintain muscle.
Good Animal Sources of Protein
The traditional sources of protein are still considered good sources. Here are the popular ones:
- Poultry – chicken, turkey, cornish hen, pheasant, duck, goose
- Red meat – beef, bison/buffalo, goat, lamb, pork (pork chops, pot roast, bacon)
- Fish – oily fish (salmon, mackerel, sardine, trout, tuna, herring)
New Protein Sources for Consideration
You should also consider the following beneficial protein sources. Eastern cultures have used many of these for centuries:
- Soy-based protein – tofu, tempeh, edamame
- Pumpkin seeds
- Chia Seeds
- Dark Green Leafy Vegetables – Broccoli, Kale
Whatever your preference, it’s good to mix up your protein sources from week to week. It’s even good to try new animal sources that you haven’t tried before, like bison instead of beef, or pheasant instead of chicken. You may be surprised when you enjoy something new!